As the summer draws to an end and the days get shorter, lights are turned on earlier and home electricity bills can start to creep up. Lighting accounts for an average of five per cent of an average home’s electricity consumption, but by following these easy tips you can keep your costs down.
- Put your floor or table lamps in the corner of the room. The glow reflected off the walls will brightens the room.
- Keep your lights clean. Dirt can absorb up to half of the light produced.
- Look for lumens, not watts. Choose the bulb for the brightness you want.
- Turn them off. Ensure the entire family turns off lights when not needed, even if only leaving the room for a short while.
- Use motion sensor lighting outside consider a timer.
- Switch to LED lights. LED’s use up to 75 per cent less energy and last up to 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Put in a dimmer switch to set different moods and save energy.